Tuesday, August 27, 2013

I Have Arrived!

If you’re in America reading this, then I’m around 12 hours ahead of you…meaning it’s already your tomorrow for me, and my yesterday for you. In other words…I’m writing to you from the future! And who said that time travel wasn’t possible? *Dum dum daaaaaaaaa!* (yup, that was my attempt at dramatic music).
Soooo…I guess since this is my first entry I should say something like “welcome to my blog”. I hope you don’t mind my endless ramblings, sometimes mindless and sometimes…weird.
So, where am I now?

Grand Canyon

Board a plane and 11 hours later you find yourself at the other side of the world. So, two years of planning and tada, I’m here in Japan. I’ve got to say, the plane ride to LA was interesting.
We flew over the Grand Canyon and before landing got to see that famous Hollywood sign. Like any tourist, I was glued to the window with wide eyes (I think I finally found the place I want to try skydiving for the first time :)).
The plane ride from LA to Japan wasn’t the worst I’ve ever had, but I still didn’t get more than an hour of sleep. Honestly, I don’t know what it is with planes and not being able to sleep. Maybe it’s the lack of space…or the screaming kids...or all the movie choices…. Now if I were to fly first class I’m sure it would be a different story…so if anyone wants to donate for my next flight, I wouldn’t have anything against it. We could call it the “Gabi Flies in First Class” contribution ;)

In all seriousness though by the time I arrived in Narita airport I was super tired.  One and a half hour train ride and ten minute walk later, I was at the house I will call home for the next week (did I mention I had to lug around my two heavy suitcases the whole way…yeah, I haven’t exactly mastered the art of packing light yet).

Yokohama (see the Ferris Wheel?)


My first full day here I got to see Yokohama. Ashiho-san took me downtown where we went on a gigantic Ferris wheel and looked at the harbor from above. Afterwards we ate….sushi and sashimi! It’s different from the sushi I’ve had so far; definitely better than any other I’ve had before as it was super fresh. If you don’t like raw sea food you’re probably about to hurl at the thought, but if you do like it then ha…be jealous! 


Nippon Maru


Oops…going off subject. So…um…sushi. After eating, we visited the Nippon Maru (translated as ‘Japanses Ship’), which is an old sailboat with four main masts. The tour was in Japanese, but Ashiho-san translated quite a bit of it for me so I wasn’t completely lost.

Speaking of Japanese, it’s interesting trying to communicate. With the little Japanese I know I can usually make out the topic that is being discussed and yet not the specifics. Thus, at times it takes some guessing on my side when Ashiho-san isn’t around. It still works out fine though. I’m picking up new words and phrases every day. Maybe I'll be fluent in...five or six years :)




On my first evening, Ashiho-san and her mother dressed me up in a casual Kimono (traditional Japanese wear). Why don't we have something this cool in the Western World? It's not unusual to wear them around here. On Sunday alone I think I saw at least six women on the train with one on.



Sidenote:
Below is a picture of my room. I’m sleeping tatimi (I think that’s how to spell it) style. Every night I get my bed out of the closest, and every morning I put it back in. It’s actually pretty comfortable as the floor is made if tatami (matts). I’ve slept like a baby every night to far with only one minor interruption from a small earthquake.


The weather here…hmm…before I came I was told it was going to be hot and humid, and yet I didn’t quite expect it to be like this. If it wasn’t for air conditioned rooms, I think I would have melted by now. When going outside it doesn’t even take five minutes and I’m already sweating! Yet, somehow some people here manage to walk around with sweaters! Anyway, because of the heat I’m drinking water like a fish…that is, if fish drink water…(Not a word Lulu).

Anywho…


Yup, that’s a picture of a Japanese toilet. Everyone who visits Japan seems to take a picture of them so I thought…why not? And no, I have no clue what all the buttons at the sides do. To tell the truth, I don’t think I’m brave enough to try them. I’m just happy that they flush on their own, because if I used any of the gadgets then I have no doubt we would end up with a very flooded bathroom, and I have no intention of drowning just yet (if ever).

The food...so far I love it! I pretty much eat anything put before me (I've got Sakeji to thank for that), and so far haven’t eaten anything I don’t like. Along the left edge below are a few pictures of just some of the foods I’ve eaten so far.

We made the Gyoza (on the left). My first few tries didn't turn out that well, but I think I got the hang of it towards the end. Yes, on that's a lot of raw fish on the right, but it was really tasty.





 The food on the right was super delicious. It had bacon, sausage, cabbage, egg, and a bunch of other healthy stuff in it. Sorry, being forgetful I can't remember the name of it. The other two picture is Udon noodles with tempura and rice which has tuna and another type of fish (yes I've forgotten the name again), on top of it.



A few days ago I took the train and went to visit my cousin who is currently about 32 minutes away from where I am. It was great getting to spend some time with him and hopefully we can meet up again while we are both here.




Ashiho-san also took me to the Edo Museum with a lot of…well really old things from the Edo period in Japan (and a few other time periods). We lost track of time and stayed most of the afternoon until we had to leave because it was closing. I put up some pictures of the inside on my facebook.


Edo Musuem



Yesterday we went to Kamakura. We visited a few temples and the giant Buddha statue. On top of that we even dropped by the beach! It was a lot of walking but totally worth it. I had a blast. I’ve got to say that so far I’m enjoying my semester abroad from abroad…that kind of sounds confusing but oh well.






I leave for TCU tomorrow and am somewhat nervous on a new start in a new place. It’s like freshmen orientation all over again! So think of me in your prayers :)
Whew…this was a super long entry. Guess I should end it now...

Till next time.






3 comments:

  1. First!!!
    (Yes I had to be that guy)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a blast! (Plus, I really like reading your writing/blogging--it makes me smile and is so fun!)

    <3 Faith

    ReplyDelete
  3. SOOO glad you're having such a wonderful time.
    Janet

    ReplyDelete